Students interested in working closely with society & serving the society can choose Civil Engineering. Providing various amenities & creating required infrastructure for all societal needs forms the prime goal of any Civil Engineer. The societal needs such as Shelter, Drinking Water & Waste Water Management, Movement of people & goods through various modes of transport such as Roadways, Railways, Airways & Urban Transportation Systems, Management of Water Resources through Dams & Reservoirs are addressed by a Civil Engineer. Communication, Organizational, Leadership and Decision making skills are very important to civil engineer as every infrastructure projects requires huge man power and team management. Key skills that differentiates a Civil Engineer from others are emotional intelligence and Creativity with societal responsibility.
Tremendous job opportunities await civil engineers every year as infrastructure needs of the state are continuous and ever increasing. Key job areas can be
- Govt. Organisation – Engineer Incharge positions in Irrigation, Road and Buildings, PanchayatiRaj, Rural Water Supply, Municipal Corporations, etc.,
- Private Organisations – Major infrastructure development companies such as L&T, Gammon India, HCC, GMR Infra, Navayuga Engineering Corporation, NCC, LASA, ShapoorjiPallonji Group, Numerous Thermal and Hydel Power Corporations, Medium Level Contractors, etc.,
- Public Sector Companies – NRSC, Indian Railways (RRB), Survey of India, ONGC, NHPC, NTPC, HPCL, BPCL, BHEL, STEEL PLANT, ISRO etc.,
- Civil Engineers have a great chance to start their Entrepreneurial Ventures and Consulting Firms compared to other disciplines given the fact there is a large shortage of quality civil engineers.
- Higher Education and Research.
Construction Technology Lab
Strength of Materials Lab